Sunday, January 22, 2017

Diverse-A-Thon Reading List

OH RIGHT so Diverse-A-Thon starts today. I was thinking it was tomorrow. Whoops! This is a week-long event centered around reading and discussing diverse books. So here is my very-slightly-past-the-last-minute reading list for the next week:

1. Not Your Sidekick by CB Lee


This one's an overlap with my #queer52 reading. It's a superhero-genre YA novel about LGBT (T actually included, apparently, YAY) teens interning for a supervillain, which is about all I know about it, but which is entirely enough for me to believe that it's delightful.

2. Shadowshaper by Daniel José Older


So… Daniel José Older is one of those authors who I semi-regularly see quoted or retweeted or so on, to which my response is usually a nod of respect/admiration/agreement and a thought of "gosh, I've got to get around to reading his work sometime."

And then I never do.

Partly in an effort to change that, and partly because that cover is gorgeous, I bought Shadowshaper some time back. Unfortunately I also bought some other books around the same time and then got sidetracked and never got around to reading that one and then bought more books and… I suspect you know how it goes. It's been sitting on my Kindle for months and it is well past time for me to read the damn book, is the point.

It's an urban fantasy starring an Afro-Latina MC and involving street art, and is the first in an upcoming series.

3. Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson


Allegedly is the author's debut novel, about a young black girl who was accused and convicted of killing a white infant when she was nine, and is now in her teens, pregnant, and fighting to clear her record so the state will allow her to keep her child.

Been hearing a lot of anticipation for this one on Twitter recently. It sounds uncomfortable and potentially tough to read, but really good. When I realized it was coming out during Diverse-A-Thon -- it comes out on Tuesday -- I preordered the Kindle version. 

And those are my reading goals for the week. What are yours?

4 comments:

  1. Not Your Sidekick is on my TBR. Really hope I have time to get it in this week. It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I hope you enjoy these books. :) I want to buy Allegedly in the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved Not Your Sidekick and am loving Shadowshaper just as much so far. Can't wait to get to Allegedly next. :)

      Delete